#90 The Triple Play
What I’m Learning/Doing
Last time on NFTF we talked about listening. In today’s world, I believe being good at it is a super power.
However, listening is harder or maybe even impossible when communications is asynchronous or one-way (like an email, voice message or written letter).
What I’ve been doing to become better in these channels is something I learned reading American Kingpin, the story about the creator of the Silk Road and the hunt to catch him.
One of the team members who helped break the case is an IRS agent named Gary Alford. There is one paragraph describing him that spoke to me as it relates to listing and communication.
Gary’s habit is to read everything three times. Every email. Every book. Every article. Every grocery list.
This patient and diligent process enables Gary to pick up on things that others miss.
I’ve been challenging myself to adopt this practice. It’s hard because for so long I’ve been moving from one thing to another as quickly and efficiently as possible.
However, efficiency is not the goal. Effectiveness is.
But man does effectiveness take a lot of patience.
- We’ve brought on an additional writer, designer in the last two weeks. Working on adding another engagement lead
- In a few weeks, I’ll have an exciting announcement that’s in the final stages of completion.
- Our third full-time employee started two weeks ago.
- LOFT is sponsoring the Triad Technology Conference. Our COO, Marty Balkema, is also speaking. The title of his talk is “Launch is Only the Beginning; Planning the Post-launch Investment”.
- We’ve had several good conversations over the last few weeks about the growth potential and direction of CrewPay. We’re considering another fundraising round.
- Still planning our re-platform of the app to make it easier to manage.
Until next time.
P.S. Intriguing article on how to take “smart” notes: https://fortelabs.co/blog/how-to-take-smart-notes/
P.P.S. I’m not a skier but found this video about the first decent of Lhotse fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=wPXSFVruIHI&feature=emb_title
P.P.P.S. I like the concept of this: https://getaway.house/