#15: The thirty eight
If you just joined this list(welcome!), you may want check out the archives.
Last week I turned 38. A friend said I should write one of those "things I've learned in how old you are lists". So here goes...
(disclaimer: I'm not proclaiming any major wisdom here, just a quick reflection.)
In no particular order:
- Relationships are living and have to be nourished.
- Good taste can be developed.
- Being selfish is at the root of most of my challenges.
- I hope I never stop loving to learn.
- Cherish the gap between starting and mastering.
- Give yourself deadlines.
- Learn to write well.
- I love going to the movies by myself.
- I used to be a morning person.
- Living life is a collaboration.
- Value your values.
- You can only control your actions and attitudes.
- Carry a notebook with you everywhere.
- God then wife then kids then friends.
- Staying curious is the greatest thing I've done for my career.
- Success is a planned event.
- Anyone can go stupid (at any time).
- We can disagree and still be friends.
- Discipline is a muscle. I feel like mine has atrophied.
- Most decisions you make are neither good or bad until later.
- There is no heart bigger than a mother's.
- "Man-mornings" with my boys are invaluable.
- "Mini-moons" with my wife are irreplaceable.
- Create more. Consume less.
- The healthcare system is laughable.
- Sometimes owning your own business isn't fun.
- Whenever I slow down, I'm overcome with thankfulness.
- I'm more aware that I don't know what I don't know. And that it's a lot.
- Learning to think for yourself on your own is the one of the most important things to learn.
- Gaining a love for math is essential.
- My ego is the most expensive thing I own.
- Aim small, miss small.
- I'm convinced golf is more than a game.
- Dealing with your parents getting older is hard.
- I care less about the things I used to care for, and more about the things I used to care less about.
- I'm pretty good at trivia.
- I'm pretty horrible with cars, lawns and politics.
- I forget that I'm almost 40 until I play soccer.
Until next time.
P.S. I'm thinking about starting a podcast audio show. Help me consider these ideas.
P.P.S. Enjoyed this documentary on making Zootopia.
P.P.P.S. if you like music, you'll like this dive into the Circle of Fifths.
If you're digging Notes from the Field, consider forwarding to a friend or two. Thanks!